Idyllic summer: Kyushu

When I told my friends that I’m about to visit Japan again, none of them looks surprised, “Where is your destination this time, uh? Tokyo? Osaka or Hokkaido?” To be honest, I didn’t have any idea where I should go to this time even though I have planned this trip for a long time. I only knew that I have to go to japan and seems like it has become something ritual and routine for me hahah. At first my friends and I were planning to visit Hokkaido for the summer festival, but then after checking our schedule and the flight, we decided to visit Kyushu, the southern part of Japan which is famous for the mountains and the spectacular landscape. Due to the active volcanos, Kyushu is also renowned for the hot spring villages such as Beppu, Kurokawa and Yufuin. This time we were basically travelling around the mountains of northern Kyushu: from Fukuoka to Kumamoto, then from Aso to Yufuin.

Aso & The Kurokawa Hot Spring 阿蘇&黑川溫泉

The first time I noticed Kurokawa was in 2016 when I was planning my winter Japan trip. There was a local Japanese website recommending all those “secret/hidden” hot springs around the country, and Kurokawa, a small village with over 20 hot spring ryokans hidden in the mountain was highly recommended by the website. However, to those who cannot drive in Japan, those hidden hot springs are definitely not easy to get to. There are only 2 buses travelling from Kumamoto to Kurokawa a day and the journey takes 2 hours. On the way to the hot spring village, the spectacular landscape emerged with the summer green, during the whole trip we were surrounded by the endless greenery of the mountains.

IMG_4008

The spectacular mountain view of Aso. (@Fashionmimo)

IMG_3609

In the Kurokawa Onsen area, there are ryokans, restaurants and souvenir shops alongside. (@Fashionmimo)

EAFIE4418

Taking half-board stay in Ryokan Sanga with multiple hot spring options (outdoor, indoor, private & public), a hidden wonderland in the mountain. (@Fashionmimo)

LRG_DSC06129

Yufuin湯布院

A small town located at the Oita, here has the most fascinated & peaceful country view I have seen . Also, Yufuin takes a good balance between the flourishing tourism and local community, so it’s a common scenario here that lots of tourists walking along the street during the day time, but when it turns to the evening, the town shifts back to a local area where people chatting and drinking in the Izakaya (japanese bar).

IMG_4605

Peaceful and idyllic, just like any Japanese village in Haruki Murakami’s book. (@Fashionmimo)

Snapseed

IMG_4612

Family-style Izakaya, everything is designed to be tiny in order to fit in the space, tiny but tidy 🙂 (@Fashionmimo)

IMG_4625

We met a lovely local lady who took us to her friend’s 60s retro-style Whisky bar, a very-tiny space where everyone sit by the counter and sing Karaoke together. (@Fashionmimo)

mikaelahuang

12 Comments

• August 1, 2018 / 8:19 am

Thanks dear! Yeah the view is awesome 🙂

1. August 1, 2018 / 1:55 pm

Lovely! Make me want to visit!

nataliesdailylife.wordpress.com

2. August 2, 2018 / 6:13 am

I have always been enchanted by Japan & the culture. What a beautiful land. Thank you for sharing your vacation with us. Truly lovely!

Debra
    stylewisebydebra.net

3. August 2, 2018 / 10:41 am

Most times my business took me to Tokyo and Yokohama but I can remember wonderful trips up into the mountains where we had conferences in one of the retreats there. Always loved the rural architecture and the breathtaking beauty of Japan. Looking down from the mountains over Tokyo Bay and coming down to the coast to sample raw fish for the first time is a happy memory. Another happy memory is cherry blossom time when everyone empties out of the city into parks when the blossoms are in flower to have family enjoyment sitting in nature. And the food is so good too. Sitting around tables at ground level with feet in a dug out under the serving table, warmed in winter time. The Japanese people I know are so gracious and hospitable.

• August 2, 2018 / 3:18 pm

I totally can understand the tranquility you described about the view over Tokyo Bay! It is a pity that I still haven’t visited Japan during the cherry blossom season, but definitely will plan for it in the future. Thank you so much for sharing your story 🙂

4. August 3, 2018 / 2:56 am

It seems really great hehe
    I would love to visit it too <3

5. Joypel Cazenas
    August 8, 2018 / 8:49 pm

What a view?! We haven’t been to Japan but it’s definitely on our list.

• August 9, 2018 / 3:32 pm

Hope that you can make your journey to Japan soon!! thanks xx

6. August 25, 2018 / 10:49 pm

I appreciate your article
    is fresh and wonderful place to visit
    You looking so stylish too🔝🔝
    thank you so much to like my articles too❤️❤️❤️ Happy weekend
    Regards from 🇨🇭Xoxo Jenny

• August 26, 2018 / 9:06 am

Thanks Jenny, have a nice weekend!